Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Riches Await!

Anyone ever use those cash for gold promos where they send you an easy-breezy envelope while, in the commercial, happy people with piles of practically forgotten precious metals make their fortune with no effort?

My favorite is “I do, now I don’t”

Rock.  I don’t know why that makes me laugh other than the vivid imagery that pops into my imagination on hearing it, and probably because I used the old school version of cash for gold – the corner hawk shop – when I retracted my first “I do”  Even then, I have to say it’s wasn’t a complete DO from the get go, it was a silly “I guess” at best.  It’s fair to say a good number of young people ‘guess’ at their first shot at being adult. 

Some months, my ex-guess asked where my ring was.  I don’t know if he was hinting that he wanted it back, as knowing what motivates the mind of a broken human is often tricky.  I told him it was on the corner of Main Street and Washington.

“You pawned your wedding ring?”
“No, no.” I shook my head “I sold it.

He was genuinely shocked, reasoning unknown again, but I suspect he thought I got a tidy sum for a barely 10k band with diamond specks.  I asked if he wanted the 25 bucks I got for it.

Now that’s it has been many, thankful, many years since all that I know more about gold, and can see it’s price every day in the newspaper if I chose to, I don’t suppose I understand how anyone could be shocked at the value of their shit.  Maybe I’m just jealous of those people and their piles. 

-DM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home