Friday, January 03, 2014

Mouseketeers

Alas I shall rock alone.

Almost alone.  Sometime.... I want to say roughly Halloween I heard the skitter of feet reserved for a small fleet of critters - all of them fucking rodent in nature.  Our skitter is mouse that in October, when it was fleetingly cute, we coined Mickey. 

Absolutely nothing was done about Mickey until around November, late.  By then Mickey was not alone and in my mind while I heard maybe, three mice.... what I really heard was 50 million of them plus cousins all running rampant within the walls, each hosting a different and more resistant strain of Hanta Virus.  In fairness, who can really tell the difference between one set of unwelcome rodent nails across your pergo and eighty sets.  To me....deafening.

We obtained some traps.  Live traps, because a few years ago we were forced to poison a mouse before it invited it's pals.  It died in the vents and stank in a way only those who've experienced THAT particular incident would know.  That Mickey's name was Charlie.  And. We. Felt. Awful.

So live traps.  The mockery of the mouse population.  I'd been living with finding stray mouse droppings for longer than really anyone west of Kentucky would be ok with.  I started finding them on the pillows...and lost my shit.  And then.....

And then I got a cold, i.e. the onset of the hanta. Flipped out and said in three languages (none intelligible) that the Mickeys had to go.  Understand that this battle is ongoing... we have upgraded the artillery, and I have been found with duct tape holsters and dicon pellets on a chest clip, locking and starving out all Mickey's.

To be continued..............

1 Comments:

Blogger Saffyrre said...

Yikes!!! I feel for you! At work we had a rat that died in the water collector for the water heater. It very slowly made heated, rotten rat soup. Smelled SO bad and it took a plumber to find it. The exterminators came out twice and couldn't find anything. I wanted to tell them, can you not smell that horrible stench of death? Seriously it is unmistakable!

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home