Friday, November 27, 2009

Gobble.

Flap a wing, Turkey day! Flap two if you feel so inclined. We had a super easy day with minimal travel to a loose environment, nothing formal and just all of Mr. Morgan's family, and there are plenty of them! All were in great spirits, food was good, even if I spent more time yapping than eating.

For fun, Prada and I decided to have a Pie Off. I'd never made a pie and I'm pretty sure she hadn't either. The opportunity for it to go completely wrong was not only palpable but probable. Our initial rules were that it was 100% homemade, then time and ya know.... reality..... decided it was reasonable to get pre-made dough. We don't need no stinkin' yeast! That's what the round "hee-hee" guy is there for.

I don't really eat pie, and didn't get a recipe. I flopped shit into a pan that I knew wouldn't make people sick, and if I were a pie fan, I would eat. Then I made it all pretty wondering how Prada was doing with her contest submission. Crushed some graham cracker crumbs on top with sprinkled sugar and basted a bit of butter to make it shiny. DM's love everything shiny.

The entries:

Mine....... I made lattice work of it and pinched the entire outer ring (all by self!) much to the chagrin of my hands, but honestly, they bitch whether I'm using them or not so it doesn't really matter. Now, in looking at this stunning work of pie perfection, you might say "and you've never made a pie?" No. But I did have one of those shitty pot holder looms as a kid which it's products were forced onto every unsuspecting family member in sight who had to lie and tell you it was JUST what they needed. That was my inspiration and training.

Prada's entry: Store bought crust, fair, within the rules ... but mine started as dough!

This entry was disqualified: Bought!


I believe I won the Pie Off, but Prada did give it a good run. Time for Shitty Santa.... muahaa!

Hope you all had a good holiday. We're nuts around here packing for our move (less than a month!) and me getting used to being employed again, no afternoon nappies. All is well, just busy!

- DM

3 Comments:

Blogger PMAYES said...

that pie looks GOOOOOD!!!!!

2:37 PM  
Anonymous BLD said...

So how did they stand up to the taste test. And c'mon, what was IN yours????

My turkey turned out great, and my dressing was passable, both wins because I had no recipes and had to go completely from memory. There were none to be found in TVille.

How's the new job? been dying to know, and you're too busy to IM these days. Inquiring minds want to know.

8:42 AM  
Blogger DMorgan's Zoo said...

Apple. I'll get around to writing about my job (once I know I'll be allowed to keep it). Not smoking is making me bonkers and the gum just makes anything I put in my mouth taste like a watered down ashtray. But cleaner? Long hours. I won't forget your curiosity, no worries.

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home