Sunday, July 27, 2008

Charity is fine.

I want to start this by saying that if anyone has a Hooka I can borrow for Hallow... DO let me know. I suspect that asking to borrow one's hooka is like asking to remove genitals, I am well aware how priceless they are to their owners. I've been given several "are you out of your fucking brain" looks for even introducing such an idea. Fact is, I don't smoke, but they are expensive. Not partaking doesn't mean I'm not keen to the cost of the high end items to enjoy it. Other fact is, most everyone I know DOES smoke and there is a god damned hooka out there waiting for it's debue.

Too windy for pool! So I sat and busted out a bunch of halloween props, a cheshire cat soundtrack, and collected money for the Kitty Pig to lend for my costume. It's fairly all consuming from here until over when I bitch like I do every year that the effort was not worth the appreciation.

I'm likely going to put off my surgery, because of money and because I don't want to be Alice in a splint with nasty stitches, although that could be a neat idea.... but wounds have to be kept clean and it's a very active event for me. I'd post a photo of the first finished.. hm, what do they call them? Card men? Those, but it would be a spoiler. I plan to load him up to show the Grandmaster tomorrow and will report on his thoughts, that's as much as I can do. He has been quite helpful with my theme this year and as much as we want to blast White Rabbit, it's a bit child unfriendly and I do want to make it creepy... yet fun. I think - shit you all would have to check archives, but I think I had two or three kids last year refusing to even approach my house. One cried. I believe I threw a piece of candy curbside to the little pansy.

My neighborhood puts up a strong battle and my house is no where close to the best, but I'd like to say it's one of the most innovative. I don't roll to the store and buy everything (some things sure) but many of my items are made with loving, bloody gore, care. That is what makes me proud.... and exhausted. Also ironic because I don't generally like kids, we all know this, but little beggars somehow impress me, and how you can force them to do what you say by means of waving a tiny slice of candy. All very entertaining. The parents here though are extremely diligent on "what do you say?" Which is nice, even when the reply is "trick or treat?" Lol. No my little one, you already said that, mom wants you to say thank you.

Digress. Clearly my brain has begun it's whirlwind, much like my Burning Man friends began many months before me. Everyone needs to have a passion, life is too short not to.

If anyone has ideas for this theme or articles to add for props, I beg you let me know. No good deed goes without repayment, I have references!

-DM

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i dont think you'll find it easy to borrow hooka. I think even the simplest are quite expensive - like hundreds of dollars - and also complicated mechanisims that owners tend to think no one else can handle but them. Maybe you can rent one from a hooka bar.

I was surprised when a friend actually brought his hooka to Burning Man. But in the end, he only pulled it out once and was uncomfortable most of the time it was out.

11:41 AM  
Blogger MissNev said...

Hooka rocks! I'm not sure of the cost, but Melting Pot sells them. I'll take a look next time I'm there.

And speaking of borrowing.....when do I get my hats back? Getting ready for the Desert and need some pate coverage!

11:54 AM  
Blogger DMorgan's Zoo said...

Shit Nev, they are under my desk, will bag them up tomorrow! And SEE I was spot on about the hooka protection! I have a back up plan, all is good but I still accept any other prop to fit my theme. No, I have no shame in begging.

4:50 PM  
Blogger MissNev said...

I'm going to make it my quest this year to find you an amazing Playa-Gifted hat. They are so dang special! Seriously, I'll be keeping you in mind as I collect my treasures out there.

Being the incredibly gifted artist that you are...why not craft a hookah? I'm picturing a fishbowl, some tinfoil and metal pie plate with hoses. (It certainly looks good in my head).

2:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home