Sunday, October 19, 2008

Day of the Dirt Death.

I almost killed myself on Friday and would have taken the Metro with me. It was vey scary and I decided that if I almost rolled the car trying to get to a job on the first day...... it wasn't going to be worth that risk twice a day. It also was much further than I want to drive. I would be angry that not a single person stopped to see if I was alright, but living through it is good enough.

I was heading to the military compound interview, it's outside of Dayton down a dirt road. If I missed the first turn off (and I did) you could get in through Stagecoach. Again, too far. You know when you get close to Stagecoach the highway turns into one lane each direction at 65mph and that made me very uncomfortable as they have head on collisions all the time. People were VERY angry with me being slower than they wanted to drive and that also got me nervous, with horns blowing and yelling at me. I wasn't driving all that slow and remember, I'm looking for a street sign and I'm blind.

I saw the sign 15 feet before the turn and I decided to make the turn because I couldnt slow down much since there was a redneck truck up my tailpipe. He'd have hit me. So Metro and I took the turn and completely underestimated how slick that dirt road was. We spun around a couple times, fishtailing in between and thank god, we stopped six inches from a serious barrier that meant business! To make sure we understood how serious it was, it brought it's friends barbwire fence, and strategically places giant boulders. We blinked for a while wondering if it really just happened and the Metro finally said "You do realize my nose is six inches from that thing don't you?" Then she asked me for a cigarrette and I gave her two. All I can say is it was a miracle of me and the car working together in split second reaction time. Neither of us are entirely sure how we came out unscathed but BOY did that make me fall deeper in love with a car that I didn't previously think I could love more. This was us:


Well, it's us with me not being a stick figure, and her not being blue with bumper damage. (of note... upon Googling metro... I was astounded and pleased to see how many people truly enjoy rocking the metro! No shortage of folks pimping their ride and having no embarrassment. I feel so at home!)

I drove some more after that, and clocked the 11 miles she said it would be down the dirt road, which is ANYTHING but a road. Divits, and ruts and holes - the ones that make your jaw clatter. I really need a job but after 11 miles and no building, fuck that.... I decided I am not risking that sort of thing everyday and my car is not built to endure a road like that and has wasted an entire morning. The Metro is one tough little beast, but it's not worth my life or my car to transverse an angry highway and an even angrier road. I'm sure what was left of her shocks are done after that. It was 61 miles one way.... that's too far anyway.

As scary as that was.... this is scarier, for your Halloween pleasure.... Chucky much??



-DM

3 Comments:

Blogger MissNev said...

I'd kill that doll just after the first chuckle...more annoying than Tickle me Elmo! (which, by the way, we had...and lost the batteries to almost immediately). Cookie Monster was a different story. I'm glad you survived your ordeal! Definite sign that job was not right for you! I think I know why you aren't supposed to wear heals. They don't want you slipping after you've shit yourself!

10:49 AM  
Blogger Khadra said...

Im glad you are ok!

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scariest damn doll I've ever seen. lmao, missnev.

I'm just glad Miss Metro is fine. BAAAAAA

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home