Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Dedication Contest.

Who wants to play? Prizes and bragging rights to the winner! I'm trying to spin up my normal dedication year, I'm frothing with the need to be creative.

Your task is to listen to Scarborough Fair and tell me what it means. Google is off limits, I've posted the lyrics below. It's tricky... so impress me. I'll know if the interpretation was snagged off the net. I may not have ever mentioned that poetry and shrouded rhetoric are very precious to me on an artistic level. Street level, just say what's on your fucking mind and get to it. God forbid anyone think deeply anymore, but I dig it. So I offer this challenge.

You don't have to be right, just tell me what YOU think they are saying. To the winner goes the spoils -

This little honey SpaFinder comes complete with 2 metal anti-stress chime balls, 3 incense leaves in Refresh fragrance, 3 incense leaves in Peace fragrance and 1 ceramic incense holder.

Want some? Come get some. Post here or email to dmorgan255@yahoo.com. Doesn't need to be an essay but if you feel thinky, have at it. The prize is worth the trouble, and the song itself won't beat your soul to give a listen. I was asked if I was 21 today and I almost took offense, then kinda smiled that the rag assed teens bopping in behind me had no clue this song, or these people even exist. Begin game!



Scarborough fair / canticle

Are you going to scarborough fair?
Parsley, sage, rosemary & thyme
Remember me to one who lives there
She once was a true love of mine

Tell her to make me a cambric shirt
(on the side of a hill in the deep forest green)
Parsley, sage, rosemary & thyme
(tracing a sparrow on snow-crested ground)
Without no seams nor needlework
(blankets and bedclothes a child of the mountains)
Then shell be a true love of mine
(sleeps unaware of the clarion call)

Tell her to find me an acre of land
(on the side of a hill, a sprinkling of leaves)
Parsely, sage, rosemary, & thyme
(washes the grave with silvery tears)
Between the salt water and the sea strand
(a soldier cleans and polishes a gun)
Then shell be a true love of mine

Tell her to reap it in a sickle of leather
(war bellows, blazing in scarlet battalions)
Parsely, sage, rosemary & thyme
(generals order their soldiers to kill)
And to gather it all in a bunch of heather
(and to fight for a cause theyve long ago forgotten)
Then shell be a true love of mine

Are you going to scarborough fair?
Parsley, sage, rosemary & thyme
Remember me to one who lives there
She once was a true love of mine

- DM

6 Comments:

Anonymous BLD said...

I love this song. Thanks for the lyrics. I've never known the background ones, but sang whatever the hell came to mind anyway.

The song always put me to mind of Rennesaince (sp) fairs. I never really caught the war lyrics part, but did get the sadness and loss.

I'm going to guess its about the crusades. God, war and spices. Probably wrong, but there you go.

11:47 AM  
Blogger DMorgan's Zoo said...

Ooooo a contestant! I also used to sing it all fucked up lol - parsley sage grows merry and time! Oops. We'll see if anyone else wants to give it a go.

1:01 PM  
Blogger Saffyrre said...

It kinda sounds to me as well like it's about a long ago battle somewhere. Maybe it's one of those ironic things where it at one time was a place of much bloodiness and violence and now it's a place of a fair for peace/relaxation? I thought that it wasn't too far in the past though since he's polishing a gun. Unless he's fighting in Vietnam and dreaming of the time when he was back home and going to the town fair with his girlfriend.

6:40 PM  
Blogger DMorgan's Zoo said...

Am very pleased, keep em coming.

9:13 PM  
Anonymous BLD said...

good guess saffy - i didnt even pick up on the gun line. Speaking of meaningful lyrics, I just heard yesterday that Creedance Clearwater Revival wrote Bad Moon Rising when Nixon won the Presidency. Don't know if its true or not, but that would be a big old You called it!

8:36 AM  
Blogger Khadra said...

I think there are three parts to the song...the poetic part (the main lyrics) about his love, the first background lyrics are about her. she's innocent and naive.

second part of background lyrics are about him. he was there, where she was, fighting for something he didn't necessarily believe in any more.

now I'm going to look it up lol!

5:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home