Thursday, September 13, 2007

Good Samaritans

Twice today there were loose dogs in the streets. One greeted me at the postoffice kitty pickup, to which I spoke to before even thinking about getting out of the car (scared of chows and frantic lost dogs). No collar, it ran.

Later this evening was a lab-ish looking girl on the lam, scared and not sure she made the right decision to stretch her legs. This one we caught while taking out the garbage, with a collar and Mr. Morgan went straight to chasing her down as she was darting a crazy game of car vs. dog. She was clearly young. He started to drag her by the collar, which I loathe and I said to pick her up. She was not going to bite. Scared as hell, but not a biter… I don’t know how I just knew, maybe it was a dangerous gamble, but I took it. Any animal could bite, but she didn’t seem the sort. He picked her up and brought her in so we could see her calling, as she hid and pissed all over my house. Baby girl was scared!

I phoned the owner who had a screaming infant in the background. She didn’t know dog was gone and I’m not sure she knew the dog’s name, which was Freda.

“Hi, I think I have your dog.”
“What?”
“Freda… this is the number listed, is this your dog?”
“Oh …..” pause “yes.”
“She is in my living room, we caught her sprinting for the Olympics on our street.”
“Oh oh oh ..”
/baby screams
“My husband said he’d bring her back to you, what’s your address? “
"She didn't get far."

I bit my tongue to say it doesnt take but a step into the street in front of your house to be too far.... but ok.

We recall the time our leg stretchers went on a jog and how our neighborhood rounded one of them up, although Delilah was too important to be bothered with being caught. It’s just what a person does, but most people…. I don’t think they do and this girl was SO sweet. Pissing aside, which has made both of my dogs go nuts with sniffing, wondering if it was their replacement. A favor is to be returned.

Mr. Morgan walked the Freda back to the owner, wasn’t far, and came back fairly annoyed.

“Was she grateful?”
“Not really. I think she likes the dog, just not a good owner, said she lost track of her.”

All I can think is thank GOD for the Mr. Morgans in this world. We talked for a moment about how distracted we get yet never lack knowing a piece of our family has gone running. Don’t compare those kids last Hallow setting my dogs loose, very different, those bitches walked into my home uninvited and quietly as small and as upcoming criminals do.

Anyway, it’s sappy and shit…. but that I ran into the road (full pajamas and barefoot) yelling for Mr. Morgan to come help the dog and he didn’t skip a beat, melts my heart that we are on the same page. The neighbors were running from her, and I was trying to lure her from the street. He didn’t chase that dog down for me, he did it because he is like minded and knew that baby might have been killed or pounded, and could have been one of our misfits on a jail break. I'd claim higher respect, but I expect no less from someone sharing my life, animals mean a lot, and sometimes dogs just want to strut a bit.

I am a puddle of smile. Below a funny complie of doggie silliness. Sound for sure.

-DM

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO!! Loved the one at the end that was busted enjoying a good rub...How undiginified. Great clip, great story that would melt the heart of my sis-in-law, a fellow defender of doggies.

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home